If You Feed Them, They Will Come...

Geese that is.  I think we understand a lot more about geese now than we did a few weeks ago.  The terms, "lost as a goose," and "goosed," have a lot better meaning to us now.  

No, we don't own or raise geese.  A few years ago some geese began coming to the farm and enjoying the front pond.  My parents are truly animal lovers so they began feeding the geese corn.  For several years now, the geese have returned.  Some have even raised babies here on the farm.  Some years there have been a lot of geese and some years not as many.  This year we have had  a large flock.  We have begun feeding them closer to the house near the large oak trees that the cows absolutely love.  Zach went outside last night and convinced a group of the geese to come all the way back here from the front of the pasture to eat the corn he was throwing out.  







I am not much of an animal lover.  I would prefer not to have a dog in the house, but I do love Abby, our miniature Australian Shepherd, Corgi mix, and I have really grown to love my parents mini-Yorki, Pawnda.  She is a really sweet dog.  We babysat her last week and she was so confused when it was bedtime and we left her on the floor.  She just kept looking up at us like, "why are you in that bed and I on this floor?"  We caved and let her sleep with us.  (Something we have never allowed another dog to do.)  


Zach with Pawnda and Abby, before she was shaved this summer. 

I hate birds, they make me very nervous.  My sister-in-law, Shawnda took me to feed the seagulls in Mississippi once and we didn't get very much of that bread out of the bag before we were surrounded by birds.  All I could think of was that "Birds," movie and all the damage they did.  I couldn't get off that beach fast enough.  






I fed the geese today, but there is a safe distance they need to keep or I won't be feeding them anymore.  It is fun to watch them come from another part of the pasture down to the house to eat.  We love watching them chase each other and listen to the squawk at each other.  When one doesn't want another around, you can watch him "goose," the other.  The other day one of the geese ended up in our fenced in yard and couldn't figure out how to get out...and he was of course, "lost as a goose."  

Life on the farm has been one adventure after another and we are loving it.  

Until we meet again. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to make Kombucha (Kombucha 101)

Disney, All the Way

Stephanie's Victorian/Country/Farm Bedroom