Sixteen Years and Counting

September 14th, John and I will celebrate 16 years of marriage!  The years have flown by.  Especially this last one.  It doesn't seem like it has been a year since we celebrated our 15th wedding anniversary with a vow renewal ceremony.

I shared some of the photos on Facebook last year and our photographer, Jason Ebeyer, shared some of them on his blog, however, I wanted to take the time to share more of the photos, our vows from the ceremony and remember the day as we celebrate this years anniversary.  We will be going on a cruise to celebrate.  Our first anniversary trip since 2009.  Oddly, we are going to Mexico, near the place we visited on the last trip.


We took pictures a couple of days before the ceremony at Mrs.  Brown's farm which is not far from the house
where I grew up.  Jason had a lot of fun with the sky in the background.  Looks like God was showing off!

He still lights up my life!






You have no idea how hot it was that morning!



I made my bouquet from an idea I found on Pinterest.



Beverly Barfield did all the decorations for the ceremony and reception.
We wanted to have a big party to celebrate all of our years together.


One grand baby, (Amelia) was with us for the day.  We are are going to show her all of these photos of her when she gets older so she will believe us when we tell her what an addict she was about her fingers.  


Chris, Jenny and Amelia Rabb

Most of the "Rabb Five."  Lisa was at home in Las Vegas anxiously awaiting the arrival of grand baby number 3, Noah.

If you can't tell, I adore this little girl.

Some of my absolute most favorite people in the whole world!!



I am not sure who he was thinking about here...

My sweet daughter in law fixed the corset on my dress.  I am so thankful she and Chris found each other.  



The boys eyeing the cake!

We didn't do the conventional marriage vows or marriage type ceremony.  We shared our wedding day story with our guests and then we said our personal vows.

Here are my 'vows:'


John,

Fifteen years ago today I stood before you a stranger.  All I knew was that I had fallen in love with you even though it didn’t make any sense at all.  I remember wondering how it was possible to be so sure of this relationship since we hadn’t even been to dinner together.  I believed then, as I do now, that God was leading us down a path that seemed odd at the time, but now I know was right were we needed to be. 

The last fifteen years have been so full!  We have been fortunate enough to live in Alaska, even more fortunate to live in Hawaii and Colorado and now home, here in Louisiana.  Having four children when we married was only made better by adding a fifth.  And, having four of the five living in Louisiana with us, makes it all the better.  Our family has expanded even more by the addition of Dean and Jenny our wonderful son and daughter in law and then the world got even brighter by the addition of Logan and Amelia and soon to be Noah.  We have laughed together, played together, battled together, mourned together, and celebrated together.  We have had good times and bad, been richer and poorer.  We have been sick and healthy.  We have forsaken all others and kept each other only to ourselves. We have certainly experienced a lot of joy during the last fifteen years and gotten back all of the years the locust devoured. 

Our life together has been wonderful!  Thank you for being a man of your word.  A man of conviction and one who honors God in all you do.  Thank you for loving my children as your own and being their daddy.  The one they lean on, count on and look to for sound advice.  When you married me, you promised to love them as your own and you have kept that promise and so much more. 

Today, before our friends and our family I commit to you the rest of my life.  I promise to love you every day, even when you are cranky.  I promise to honor you keep you, enjoy you spend time with you and grow our relationship every day.  I promise to be faithful, truthful and keep myself only for you.  I promise to love you and grow old with you and spoil lots of grand children with you.  I made these vows to you 15 years ago and today I commit to the same in hopes of many many more years of happiness together.  I love you.  Happy anniversary.


Here are John's 'vows:' 

For 15 years you have listened to me talk, and I really started to think about what words I have used over that time. Rarely am I at a loss for words but when I think about you, I suddenly get that way. Fortunately there are some words I have used so frequently I am never without them!

Words like: 

Don't: I don't always understand what you saw in me 15 years ago but, I am so thankful that you did and had faith enough to trust God with this relationship.

Stop: I am so glad you didn't stop and run away after that first year, it was quite the challenge for all of us. But, you hung in there and kept teaching me how to be a good husband and dad.

No: There is no way I would have ever been able to figure things out without you being a part of my life. There have been so many situations that required a nurturing hand and not merely a logical approach. You taught me that there was a time for a motherly touch.

Why: And then "WHY". I don't know how or why I found such favor with God for Him to give me a wife like you.

I knew God was in this relationship from the beginning and that is what we acted on when we joined our families together 15 years ago. You are my best friend and I look forward to when we celebrate our next landmark anniversary 35 years from now...maybe at Disney World! I love you and happy anniversary baby.


The kids shared special memories during the reception.

Our friends, the Yamaguchis sent leis from Hawaii to help us celebrate the day.

We shared stories during the reception, I was probably talking about my five blessings!

We had friends travel from Florida to spend the day with us.

Stephanie shared a story about John being her Dad.

The Niharts, Burns, and Barfields

Sarah, Terri, Tammy, Cecelia and Leslie

Ryann, and the Porters

 Needs no explanation

The Hams, Browns and Pickerings

Danna's parents, the Goins and Dave

The DeVergers, Jared and the Doughertys.  Edie and I rode the school bus together from grade school until she went to the Louisiana School.  Her husband and Jason were room mates at Louisiana School.  The world may be small, but Louisiana is even smaller!

Some of my dearest friends, the Howard girls.  Kim and I became friends in the 2nd grade, I didn't know she had a twin until the 4th grade when I met Candace.  Nicole and I became incredibly close friends in 1997 and 1998.  These ladies and I have been through a lot together.  I am so thankful for their friendship.  As a side note, we are often told that we all four look like sisters.





My parents! 





If you were able to join us for the day, we are so thankful that you did.  If you weren't able to be there, we missed you and thank you so much for your love and friendship.  


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to make Kombucha (Kombucha 101)

New Life on the Farm