"Master Closet," small as it may be

When our home was originally built (1954), people didn't own nearly the amount of stuff we own these days.  My grandparents built this home with two small closets in their bedroom and the room built for their daughter was a little larger and included one "larger" closet.  John and I call her room our "master" bedroom.  There isn't a large walk in closet, and there isn't a master bathroom.  John remodeled the bathroom in the hallway a couple of years ago and we now affectionately call it the "girls" bathroom.  The boys all use the bathroom in the front of the house.  This bathroom will be remodeled during phase II.

I wanted to share with you the pictures of our newly completed master closet.  Since it isn't a large space it had to pack a punch with storage.  Before the renovation we had two bars across the entire length which kept me from being able to hang dresses in our closet.  I really wanted to be able to keep my dresses in our room, so this was an important factor.  While searching for closet organization systems I found some online design tools and designed the closet.  The cost was just too high to purchase any prefab systems, so I had my handy dandy personal carpenter build it for me.  

This is our closet after demo and sheet rock was installed.  Our closet backs up to the bathroom so we wanted to add access to the tub faucet and shower head.  
Notice the flooring.  This is before we had the hardwood refinished.  Our contractor removed the door so you can see where there was previously wall (unfinished flooring is in those spots).  The small door made it really hard to get to the right side of the closet, where my clothes were stored.  We actually ended up having the flooring company feather in the flooring so it doesn't looks like it was all part of the original flooring. 

Our contractor installed the top shelf, it is a little too low, but rather than pull it out and have to redo all of it we left it.  John added three bars on my side and two on his.  We purchased two small storage shelves and framed those in with plywood.  They are the perfect size to hold those adorable little fabric cubes and hide clutter.  

My son and daughter in law helped me get it painted yesterday so I finally have my clothes back in my room.  They have been in the dining room since January...

There isn't any storage for shoes so Stephanie will have to share her closet space with us for that.  In the grand scheme of things I am so thankful to have our closet finished.


Our ultimate goal with the house will be to add a master bedroom suite, family room and laundry room during what we refer to as phase III.  Until then, we will share our tiny closet in my mom's childhood bedroom and be thankful we are so blessed.  

Until we meet again.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to make Kombucha (Kombucha 101)

Disney, All the Way

Stephanie's Victorian/Country/Farm Bedroom