Stephanie's Victorian/Country/Farm Bedroom

Let's face it.  When our children are little their presence fills our days.  At times, we think we will never recover from the long days and sleepless nights.  As they grow older, we become occupied with their activities and our days are still filled and busy.  As a mother of five, I know what full days are like.  Some days, I miss them.  With three of my children grown and married, one in college and one in Jr. High school, my days can still be full and busy, but, it is a much different busy.  I remember many Saturday mornings when we would call out the troops for cleaning duty.  Each child was given a room to clean or floors to vacuum and by the time we were finished, the house smelled better and the clutter was better under control.  The messes are much smaller these days and calling out the troops really isn't the same when there is only one child to call.  A teenager no less...

Stephanie will be graduating from college in December.  She plans to stay with us this summer and enjoy the room I have designed to entice her.  We even call it her room!

This is the best before photo I can find at the moment.  
This room was my grand parent's room while my mom was a little girl.  The house was originally only two bedrooms.  My mom was an only child.  They didn't need a lot of rooms.  My granny loved the furniture in this room.  She lovingly refinished two of the pieces and the third she stripped and planned to refinish, but never got to it.  I guess we all have projects like that.
John and my dad had completed most of this room during the renovation.  We still needed to add crown molding and finish around the windows and closet and we wanted to add can lights as well.  We decided to have the floors refinished during this phase.  You can see the red dye on the floor close to the corner.  THAT IS RED TIE DYE!!!  Yes, my college student left it in a bag on the floor and it leaked.  What you can't see is the stains from the dogs...it was time to get these floors finished and protected.  We also had the walls painted a more neutral color.


Her room ended up being a storage space for the beginning stage of the renovation...

This is the piece my granny never finished.  I paid someone to paint it for me.  She did a great job.  The drawers were in bad shape so John fixed that for me.


It didn't hold anything before

New drawer bottoms and hardware































The price seemed right and the color was perfect!



Once the room was all finished John admitted the chandelier really fit the space. 

I had everything in place and decided a fan in the corner would fill the space.  I asked my mom if she had any old tables from the house we could use.  She showed up, with my dad, a few minutes later carrying the table shown.  It belonged to my great grandfather.  He used it for a fan in his room.  :0)
I made the Roman shades from the old curtains and some cheap mini blinds.


My granny refinished this piece.  It, along with the chifferobe were her favorite furniture pieces.  There is a date on the back of one from 1917.  I recovered the chair cushion to match the space.


I hope you love Steph's room as much as I do.  And, as a side note, none of the previous stains on the flooring are visible anymore.  They did an amazing job!  

Until we meet again.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to make Kombucha (Kombucha 101)

Disney, All the Way