God sees the heart

My latest project has taken me outside, in the heat.  This is Louisiana heat people.  It was really hot outside today, I worked in shifts and made a little progress.

When I originally decided to work on this bench I was a little deceived.  There was obviously a lot of rust visible, however, there was a great deal of rust hiding under the paint. This project is going to take a lot more elbow grease than I originally anticipated.








I watched a video a while back showing the use of Coca Cola to remove rust.  I decided to give it a try, (even though I would have preferred pouring said soda into a glass filled with ice and enjoying a drink while I relaxed on the rusty bench).  I decided to stick with the original plan and poured the soda on the bench.  It was amazing to see the rust bubble in the fizz.   It wasn't instant, all the rust wasn't even removed on the first attempt, but with a little scrubbing with the wire brush, the rust began to dissipate.   It will take a good bit of work to remove all the rust, but in the end, I hope to restore the bench to its previous glory.

I kept thinking about how others see us and how God sees us.  This bench originally had a beautiful painted coating.  Over the years, the elements have worn away at the exterior of it and in the process impacted its overall appearance.  Honestly, how many of us have rust hiding under the surface?  I mean, sometimes others can see our rust spots.  The ones right on the surface.  The ones we don't hide.  But, what about the rust hiding under the surface.

I can imagine the rust in each of our lives might be something different.  For one, it might be a habitual sin, for others maybe even long held secrets of abuse, or shame caused by poor choices in a moment of weakness.  For others, it might be in the way they treat others, bitterness, depression, selfishness, or even hate. We all have that little voice inside, the one that tells us we aren't good enough.  People don't like us.  No one wants us around.  We will never amount to anything or make a difference in anyone's life.  We all have hidden thoughts of guilt or shame.  Whatever they may be, God sees them.  We can't hide the ugliness from God.  He knows everything about us, even the things we try to hide from him.  

1Samuel 16:7: But the Lord said to Samuel, "Do not look at his appearance or at the height of his stature, because I have rejected him; for God sees not as man sees, for man looks at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart."

If I had decided to simply spray paint over the rust, nothing would have really changed.  The rust and corrosion would have continued to eat away at the structure of the bench.  All the damage had to be addressed.  It had to be removed in order to ensure all the work was worth the effort.  Otherwise, I would be right back in this same position in the near future having to do all the work all over again.  If I make the right choices in refinishing this bench the outcome will be more appealing to others.  They will want to sit and enjoy this bench and they won't have to worry about getting their clothes stained or damaged by the rust.  It will be an inviting place of rest instead of the eyesore it has been.

God wants us to turn completely to Him and trust Him.  Sin can completely take over our lives if we let it.  Those small rust spots, seen on the surface, might be much smaller than the bigger problem hiding under the surface.  Untreated, the rust will continue to spread under the surface and cause so much more damage than you ever thought possible.  Sin, much like rust, has a way or working its way into our lives slowly.  Each time we sin we make a choice.  We have an opportunity.  We can learn from it.  We can learn to continue to make the same choice in the future or we can choose a different option in the future.  None of our rust or sin is hidden from God.  He knows about it all and yet, he still loves us.  He is still drawing us to Him.  

I always tell my children to learn from their choices/mistakes.  Allow them to help you make better choices in the future.



I finished the bench yesterday and took it back home.  I hadn't told anyone, except my husband about my experience working with the bench and the verse God placed on my heart.  And I really hadn't given it a lot more thought, until today, when my daughter posted the verse above on her Facebook page.  We were riding in the car together and I told her how perfect the verse she posted was for today.  She told me they had studied that verse in Sunday School this morning.  I love how God works those things out in our lives.

 And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who[a] have been called according to his purpose. Romans 8:28

I'll leave you with a favorite verse of mine.

Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and do not rely on your own understanding; think about Him in all your ways, and He will guide you on the right paths. Proverbs 3: 5-6.  



Until we meet again.  



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to make Kombucha (Kombucha 101)

Disney, All the Way

Stephanie's Victorian/Country/Farm Bedroom